Thursday, January 24, 2008

2008 Book 5: The Count of Monte Cristo



My version is no longer in print...and neither is any version translated by Lowell Blair. Therefore, this edition pictured could be a vastly different edition/translation than mine.



















































Book #:5
Book Title:The Count of Monte Cristo
Author:Alexandre Dumas
Publisher:Bantam Books
Pub. Date:1981 (my version); 1844 (original)
Pages:441
Started:January 19, 2008
Finished:January 23, 2008
Time to Read:5 days
Back Cover / Inside Flap:"Set against the turbulent years of the Napoleonic era, Alexandre Dumas's thrilling adventure story is one of the most widely read romantic novels of all time. In it the dashing young hero, Edmond Dantes, is betrayed by his enemies and thrown into a secret dungeon in the Chateau d'If - doomed to spend his life in a dank prison cell. The story of his long, intolerable years in captivity, his miraculous escape, and his carefully wrought revenge creates a dramatic tale of mystery and intrigue and paints a visiion of France - a dazzling, dueling, exuberant France - that has become immortal."
Stars:***
Review:When Edmond Dantes spends years in jail, after being set-up by some narrow-minded jealousy-motivated pinheads, he doesn't let his situation break his soul. Instead, he spends his time learning to survive...and planning for revenge. And so while the back of this book calls it a romance...I would in fact call it the best-known tale of revenge of all time. No other story could more thoroughly illustrate how one driven man could so totally devastate the lives of so many others after their misdeeds took away a vast portion of his life.

I first read this story after I began dating the man who would become my husband. It's his favorite book of all time. It's one of the reasons I first went out on a date with him in the first place! We met online, and one of the questions I asked on my profile was about favorite books...and Chris was the only guy to take it seriously/answer thoughtfully. I have to admit, though, that I'm not as enthralled with the book as Chris is. I wish I knew French, just so I could read the unabridged version in the original language. I suspect that there is a lost-in-translation monster that really keeps me from loving this book.

All in all, however, it's a fascinating read about a story with more twists and turns (and characters!) than you can keep track of. Definitely worth a read.



If you have read or are planning to read this book, please make sure to stop back by and leave me a comment to let me know your own thoughts!

From my library to yours,

Tiffany

No comments: