Sunday, February 24, 2008

2008 Book 14: The Husband





















































Book #:14
Book Title:The Husband
Author:Dean Koontz
Publisher:Bantam Books
Pub. Date:2006
Pages:415
Started:February 20, 2008
Finished:February 24, 2008
Time to Read:5 Days
Back Cover / Inside Flap:"We have your wife. You can get her back for two million cash.

On an ordinary afternoon, an ordinary man, a gardener of modest means, gets a phone call out of his worst nightmare. The caller is dead serious. He doesn't care that Mitch can't raise that kind of money. He's confident that Mitch will find a way. If he loves his wife enough...

Mitch does love her enough. He loves her more than life itself. He's got sixty hours to prove it. He has to find the two million by then. But he'll pay a lot more. He'll pay anything.

From its tense opening to its shattering climax, The Husband is a thriller that will hold you in its relentless grip for every twist, every shock, every revelation. This is a Dean Koontz novel, after all. And there's no other experience quite like it.

The Husband

What would you do for love?

Would you die? Would you kill?"

Stars:***
Review:Dean Koontz delivers in style, as always. This was a hard-to-put-down novel that I read every chance I had until it was done - I just had to know what would happen next. I always try to guess where a book is going, and while I can sometimes tell, this one kept me guessing until the very end.

In many novels that I read, I try to figure out the backstory - what characters do in the time they have between the scenes they have in the books. In this story, I didn't have to wonder. Koontz mixed the perfect amount of backstory with hard-hitting action that kept the plot moving forward.

If I had one complaint, it would be that Koontz stories seem to be a bit overscripted at times. There's always a great upheaval, a great struggle to right a wrong, and then an ending that's kinda happy but with twinges of heartache attached. It's ok - it works as Koontz's formula, but unpredictability is good at times, too.

Regardless, it's a great read and I highly recommend.

Head over to the Manic Bookworm's Ballroom for Penelope Anne's take on this great read!



If you have read or are planning to read this book, please make sure to stop back by and leave me a comment to let me know your own thoughts!

From my library to yours,

Tiffany

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Again thanks for the link love :)