Friday, September 12, 2008

2008 Book 78: The Best Laid Plans





















































Book #:78

Book Title:The Best Laid Plans

Author:Sidney Sheldon

Publisher:Warner Books

Pub. Date:1997

Pages:372

Started:September 7, 2008

Finished:September 11, 2008

Time to Read:5 Days

Back Cover / Inside Flap:"Dear Diary: This morning I met the man I am going to marry. That declaration sets Leslie Stewart on a destiny she could never have imagined. For she is engaged to Oliver Russell, a man fated to rise to the pinnacle of world power, the office of the President of the United States. And, in the aftermath of the shattering betrayal that follows, Leslie will amass her own towering media empire, dedicated to a single purpose - the downfall of Oliver Russell, on the eve of his most dazzling triumph. From Sidney Sheldon, the unchallenged master of bestselling fiction, comes a story of blazing ambitions and thwarted lover that enthralls and surprises with every page..."

Stars:**



Review:Sidney Sheldon is a great writer...this just isn't a great book. Did you read the synopsis (back cover blurb) from above? Ok, you've just learned the entire story. Seriously! The difference between reading the blurb and reading the book is simply a few hours of your life. So why did it take me so long to get through this? Ack, I've been busier than heck this week, and unlike books that captivate me, I was able to put this one down for long stretches of time and indeed forget to pick it back up.


Ok, so here's what I liked: cute story, clever writing at times.


Here's what I didn't like: someone, get me a scorecard! There are so many characters in this book...and bouncing points of view...that I'm dizzy from trying to keep up. Also, someone please get Sheldon a scorecard as well...I think he may have confused a couple details at times!


This isn't a bad read, and if you're looking for a throwaway novel to while away a boring day, this may be a good bet. Just don't expect deep literature.



If you have read or are planning to read this book, please make sure to stop back by and leave me a comment to let me know your own thoughts!

From my library to yours,

Tiffany

No comments: