Friday, March 20, 2009

2009 Book 15: The Last Precinct





Book #:
127
Book Title:
The Last Precinct

Author:
Patricia Cornwell


Publisher:
G. P. Putnam's Sons

Pub. Date:
2000

Pages:
449

Started:
March 17, 2009

Finished:
March 20, 2009

Time to Read:
4 Days

Back Cover / Inside Flap:
"We enter The Last Precinct through the reverberating aftershocks of Black Notice, inconceivably finding Virginia's Chief Medical Examiner Kay Scarpetta an object of suspicion - and criminal investigation.  And the nightmare perpetuated on Scarpetta's doorstep continues as she discovers that the so-called Werewolf murders may have extended to New York City and into the darkest corners of her past.  When a formidable prosecutor, a female assistant district attorney from New York, is brought into the case, Scarpetta must prevail against mounting and unnerving evidence to the contrary.  Tested in every way, she turns inward to ask, Where do you go when there is nowhere left?  The answer is the Last Precinct.  By the end of the novel, it is clear that Scarpetta's life can never be the same."

Stars:
****

Review:
I find it regrettably that I've read my Patricia Cornwell novels out of order - it bugs me when I read about the same characters time and time again, but the sequence of what happens is helter-skelter.  Fortunately, Cornwell writes so well and weaves in backstory so masterfully that I never feel truly lost or wondering what I've missed in the other volumes.  In this particular work, I am especially in love with the way that Cornwell shifts to write about what can happen when her beloved main character is cast with the same suspicion that she more typically casts upon others.  The strength of the character that Cornwell has created in Kay Scarpetta is apparent on every page of this book, in times of hope and despair.  And as always, Cornwell mixes in the legalese with a masterful hand that makes the work interesting but not impossible to understand.  Highly recommend!



If you have read or are planning to read this book, please make sure to stop back by and leave me a comment to let me know your own thoughts!

From my library to yours,

Tiffany

No comments: