Thursday, March 27, 2008

2008 Book 24: More of Paul Harvey's The Rest of the Story





















































Book #:24

Book Title:More of Paul Harvey's The Rest of the Story
Author:Paul Aurandt (Paul Harvey, Jr.)

Publisher:Bantam Books

Pub. Date:June 1981

Pages:194

Started:March 24, 2008

Finished:March 27, 2008

Time to Read:4 Days

Back Cover / Inside Flap:"In the million-copy bestseller, PAUL HARVEY'S THE REST OF THE STORY, you read about the cocaine in Coca Cola--about the insane wife patriot Patrick Henry kept chained in the cellar--about the little girl Adlai Stevenson shot dead--and much, much more!


Now--in MORE OF PAUL HARVEY'S THE REST OF THE STORY--you'll learn about things you won't believe people thought you knew!


Don't tell me HE was a hopeless drug addict!


Don't tell me HE had a sex change!


Don't tell me SHE had affairs with all those men!


Don't tell me HE actually died twice!


OH YES, THEY DID!


And wait until you discover who they are, in MORE OF PAUL HARVEY'S THE REST OF THE STORY."

Stars:*****

Review:I first read this book and it's companion first volume when I was in an elementary school summer enrichment reading program. I think this was one we hit during the summer after 5th grade - the same summer I took pre-algebra. (Yeah, I was a smarty-pants.)


What a fabulous book! For me, an intrepid researcher, finding out the story-behind-the-story has always been one of my greatest pleasures in life. If you've ever listened to Paul Harvey on the radio, you know that he is a consummate story-teller, and you can almost hear his voice in your head as you read these tales pieced together by his son, Paul Aurandt.


If you or your child competes in Forensics, this book can be a boon to you in a different fashion. Throughout my competitions in Extemporaneous Speaking in high school, I often used these stories as a lead-in to whatever speech I was given. So broad are the topics and people covered that I was almost always able to find a tale that fit the situation.


All in all, I highly recommend. Each story is brief - 2 to 5 pages max - and so this is the perfect book to keep in your purse to pull out and read when you only have a short time to dive in. Enjoy!



If you have read or are planning to read this book, please make sure to stop back by and leave me a comment to let me know your own thoughts!

From my library to yours,

Tiffany

No comments: