Sunday, August 31, 2008

2008 Book 75: Death Be Not Proud





















































Book #:75



Book Title:Death Be Not Proud

Author:John Gunther



Publisher:Harper

Pub. Date:1949

Pages:231

Started:August 25, 2008
Finished:August 30, 2008

Time to Read:6 Days

Back Cover / Inside Flap:"Johnny Gunther was seventeen years old when he died of a brain tumor. During the months of his final illness everyone near him was unforgettably impressed by his level-headed courage, his wit and quiet friendliness, and, above all, his unfaltering patience through the times of despair and those few heartbreaking days when it seemed, unbelievably, that all would be well. This deeply moving book is a father's memoir of a brave, intelligent, and spirited boy in his fight to overcome a dreadful disease that doctors had then only begun to understand."

Stars:*****

Review:When I was in high school, I was a morbid sort of kid. Lurlene McDaniels was my most-read author. Gee, that's cheerful - dying kids. I'd sob my heart out at the end of each book. This book...this is different. This child was a real person. And even though he lived long before I was born, this memoir allowed me an intimate look into his life and the courage that it takes to die with dignity. Superbly written and exquisitely documented. There's a reason this book has remained the ultimate memoir to a child's death for more than half a century.


If you have read or are planning to read this book, please make sure to stop back by and leave me a comment to let me know your own thoughts!

From my library to yours,

Tiffany

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by, fellow book addict! Adding you to my reader right now...